I am never really sure whether to call things cupcakes, muffins or fairy cakes. Cupcakes sounds a bit more fancy, fairy cakes a bit twee and muffins well they are just different aren’t they? I came up with this recipe at the weekend. Usually when adding cocoa to cake you minus that amount from the flour. As you can see in the recipe I didn’t and it made with the addition of ground almonds a really gorgeous almost muffin cross brownie cake.The Nutella in the middle is a nice surprise!!! Mine ones are gluten-free so your’s should look even better!!!
You will need:
125g/ 4.5 oz softened butter/stork type thing
125g/ 4.5 oz castor sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
125g/ 4.5 oz Self- raising flour sieved ( I used gluten-free plain flour with 2 tsp of baking powder)
30g/ 1 oz Cocoa Powder
30g/ 1 oz Ground almonds
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbls of milk
To make you need to:
- Preheat oven to 190ºc/ 375ºF/ Gas mark 5
- Put 12 cupcakes cases in a 12 hole bun tray
- In a bowl cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. I use a whisk as much quicker.
- Add the egg in gradually and the vanilla. I usually add a tbls of flour to stop it curdling.
- Now add half the sifted flour then mix.
- Add the remaining flour, cocoa powder, ground almonds and milk and mix. I used the electric whisked to do this but some people think just folding is better. Your choice
- Add about one dessert spoon of the cake mix to each cupcake case. This is more judgement but basically it is half of what you usually add in.
- Now add I teaspoon of Nutella to each of them. I dolloped mine in the middle.
- Split remaining mixture to cover the Nutella.
- Bake for 12 -15 minutes until cake springs back when pressed.
Now enjoy with a nice cup of tea or a glass of milk for the littles ones.
You may also like this recipe here I have called them comic relief cookies otherwise known as Dotty Cookies!!!