These biscuits came about when Mermaid Cookware asked me to come up with some recipes to use with their range. I thought fresh fruit especially berries would be nice added to biscuits instead of dried fruit. So holding my breath (actually I tested two out first just in case!) I gave them a go and I must say they came out much better than I even hoped for.
So here is my recipe for some perfect biscuit’s.
Fresh Berry Butter Biscuits
You will need:
250g/ 9oz Softened Butter
140g/5oz Icing Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 large egg yolk
375g/13oz Plain flour (sifted)
Selection of fresh mixed berries i.e blueberries, raspberries and strawberries (strawberries need to be roughly chopped)
You will need to:
- Preheat Oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas mark 5 and lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy
- Add the vanilla and egg yolk and mix in.
- Add the sifted flour and mix well until it forms a firm dough.
- Take pieces of dough and roll into golf ball sizes.
- Take the dough balls and flatten in hand.
- Add a few berries or strawberry pieces and place on top of the dough. For a rough guide three blueberries per biscuit is just right. You can mix and match berries or have just strawberries in one etc etc.
- Fold the dough over to sandwich the berries inside.
- Now flatten the dough to make round biscuit shapes about 5mm thick.
- Pop onto prepared baking tray and bake for about 12 minutes or until turning golden.
- Cool on a wire tray
Will make approximately 18-20 biscuits
You can easily swap your flavours. Chocolate chunks, smarties and fudge pieces all work very well. I like to do a mix of some strawberry, blueberry and some chocolate chunks. As you add the filling to the balls of dough it is really easy to mix and match then there is something for everyone then!!!
The dough is very freezer friendly. Once cooked biscuits with berries in are best eaten within 2 days of being kept in an air tight container. If you add non fresh ingredients they will keep for 4 days though having said that these biscuits were loved so much they didn’t hang around for long!!!
You may also like my Nutella cupcake recipe.