Easy Marmalade cakes
It was only after I made these marmalade cakes did I think of Paddington bear but hey I think he would totally love these cakes and wouldn’t get in trouble for sticky paws either.
Today the cake tin was hungry and I was in the mood for a bit of experimental cooking. Taking the good old basic fairy cake mix, adding spice, orange zest and marmalade and ta dah voila ‘Paddington Bear cakes’.
So I didn’t miss out I made these gluten-free so as usual yours will most probably look much better but I can say they are gorgeous not too sweet and got the big thumbs up from all the Over a Cuppa household who loved them.
I used a silicone mould that are bars but it is perfect to make 12 fairy cakes too. When ever I use silicone moulds always underneath put a good quality baking tray, makes all the difference.
So to make 12 of these gorgeous ‘Marmalade Cakes’ you need:
4.5oz/125g Softened butter or soft margarine
4.5oz/125g Castor sugar
2 Eggs lightly beaten
2 teaspoons of your favourite spice. I used ginger and nutmeg but mixed spice or cinnamon would be good too.
4.5oz/125g Self-raising flour or I used gluten-free plain flour with two tsp of baking powder
2 tbls of marmalade heated in the microwave for 1 minute so make easier to mix in
Zest of an orange (optional for extra zestyness!!!)
To make Marmalade cakes you need too:
- Preheat oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas Mark 5
- Cream the butter/marg and sugar until light and fluffy
- Gradually add the eggs and add 1 tbls of flour to stop it curdling
- Fold in or lightly beat in the flour
- Add the marmalade and orange zest and mix in
- Split between the 12 cases or like me put into lightly greased silicone moulds
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden and springy to touch
- Allow to completely cool on a cooling rack
These are perfect as they are, you could top with an orange icing if you like. It is also a cake that would be lovely as a pudding with custard. Really easy and perfect for Paddington Bear fans who don’t want to get sticky paws!!!
You may also like these Mini Victoria Sponge cakes