This recipe goes down really well in our house, when I say recipe as usual with this sort of meal quantities etc can be changed to suit.
I usually make double the amount as it freezes really well. The quantities I use here make enough for 4 plus enough to freeze for another day. Value peppers are great for this recipe, so this time of year when the other ingredients are a good price it’s a good value meal to make. I use tin tomatoes because for pasta sauce I think it makes a better sauce, but if you have fresh ones you can roast them at the same time, but you may have to add passata or something similar. Red wine is a nice addition for adults, cook in pan for an extra 5 minutes or so.
You will need:
3 Red Peppers
4 garlic cloves (more if liked)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
Black pepper and salt
Extras fresh chillies or 1 tsp chilli powder (if you like it spicey)
Fresh herbs e.g thyme or oregano again you can use 1-2 tsp mixed dried herbs
Fresh chopped parsley or torn up basil to add at end.
- Preheat oven on to 200oc, 400 f, Gas mark 6
- Chop all the vegetables into chunky pieces, but all similar size for even cooking. Garlic chop into 5 pieces.
- Spread out onto 2 baking trays (1 if doing less), drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add herbs if using (not parsley yet!) and give a good mix up, hands best for this.
- Roast until charred around the edges about 45 minutes. Check and give them a stir around after 25 minutes.
- When cooked add to large pan with the tinned tomatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes or until tomatoes have cooked down a little bit.
- I like my sauce chunky but you can give it a bit of a blitz with the blender here or a lot of a blitz if you like it smooth.
- Add fresh parsley or basil if using and season to taste.
Serve with pasta, lovely with grated cheese on top and more black pepper for me. Also unblitzed sauce is great on top of a Jacket potato.
Sneaky Mummy tip: For children if you are tempting them to eat more veg, once you’ve given the sauce a good blitz add either 1tsp of sugar or a good squirt of tomato ketchup. This sweetens it up a bit and with all the other healthy stuff in there I think the added above can be forgiven!!!
I have linked up with Chronicles of a Reluctant Housedad for his Recipe shed linky go and see what other recipes there are and add one too!