Last month I joined Carol at Make it Bake it for her #inseasonchallenge which was using Savoy cabbage. This time Carol has chosen apples, of course I immediately thought of apple crumble but then decided I go savoury as well.
This get’s cooked in our house quite a lot in the Autumn and then it would have pumpkin or squashes joining it too. It is easy and if you do jacket potatoes too it can be all done in the oven.
As I had the oven on I thought I have a play with some cakes after my Nutella success I feel a bit more experimenting coming on.
Sausage and apple bake.
You will need to serve 4 people:
6-8 sausages depending ( I used Debbie and Andrews Harrogate sausages as they are gluten-free and also a big 97% shoulder pork and really yummy, also on offer at Tesco until 18/03/12 sorry not an advert just great sausages!!!)
4 Apples cut into 8 pieces each (I used Cox’s as British and tasty)
2-3 medium peeled carrots cut into batons
3 medium onions each cut into 8 pieces
A good grind of black pepper
A little oil
- Preheat oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas mark 5
- Put apples, carrots, onions on a large oven tray.
- Add a little oil not much at all, a good grind of pepper then mix it all up.
- Lay the sausages on the top, another grind of pepper if liked.
- Then pop in the oven for approximately 30-35 minutes,until sausages are fully cooked.
Then simply serve up. I served mine with mashed potatoes and spring greens.
Now here you can add garlic, parsnip, pumpkins, potatoes it is up to you, also fresh herbs like thyme are good too! It really is a super easy and tasty supper and if you’re having friends for a casual supper makes a really easy meal.
As the oven was on and apples were in my mind I made these.
You will need to make 12:
4.5oz/125g Softened butter or baking spread
4.5oz/125g Castor sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
4.5oz/125g Self raising flour (I used gluten-free flour with 2 tsp of baking powder)
1oz/30g Ground almonds
2 apples, peeled chopped into small pieces
1 dessert spoon of sifted icing sugar, 1/8th of teaspoon of mixed spice.
To make these you need to:
- Firstly you need to cook the apples to allow time to cool. Add chopped apples to a small pan, add 2 teaspoons of water and a little brown sugar. Cooked until softening but still in chunks. Remove from heat and mash-up a little. Leave to cool.
- Preheat oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas Mark 5.
- Put 12 cake cases into a 12 hole bun tray.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Whisk in the eggs a little at a time, I add a tablespoon of flour at this point to stop in curdling.
- Then add the vanilla and beat in.
- Add the sifted flour, ground almonds and milk, then mix in until well combined.
- Split half of the cake mix between the cake cases.
- Add a teaspoon of cooled apple to each cake case.
- Now top with the remaining cake mix.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden and spring back to touch.
- Cool on a cooling rack, then sprinkle with the spiced icing sugar.
Then enjoy 🙂
These are really yummy, will be making them again. Love it when an experiment comes off!!!
Pop Over to Make it Bake it on Friday for even more apple recipes in ‘The in season challenge’
Reader Rating: 0 Votes
You May Also Like