After having a bit of a sort out, as you do once in a while or in my case a long while I thought I’d sort through my collection of food magazines. Finding the oldest one from 2001 mmm, you never know when your going to need a different recipe. I had a flick through and found, surprisingly this recipe, I must of been have been using it for the last 10 years! This recipe has been a favourite at many a Halloween party but also one I make for when it’s B.B.Q season or you’re invited to a family party, the children and those kiddy adults, usually the men dive in and look at there partners saying mmm you should make these with crumbs falling out there mouths. Not a pretty site but it is always nice when people like something.
This is party type food so there are no points for healthy eating but still…….
1 pack of 10 Frankfurter Sausages (I usually use Herta)
250g of Frozen Puff Pastry ( I usually use Jus-Roll this leaves extra to make cheese whirls see end of recipe)
A little milk or beaten egg
1. Preheat oven to 200 oc/400of/Gas mark 6
2. Lightly grease a baking tray
3. Roll the pastry thinly.
4. Spread approx 4 tsp of Tomato Ketchup over the pastry.
5. Cut pastry into 10 long (the length of the pastry you rolled) thin (approx 2cm width) strips your left with a bit extra sometimes.
6. Wrap the pastry around the sausages, if you like to keep them neat you can secure the ends of the pastry with halved cocktail sticks.
7. Brush with the milk or beaten egg.
8. Pop in the oven for 20 Min’s or until golden brown.
Any pastry left I usually pop a bit of grated cheese on with a sprinkle of mixed herbs and roll them into pin wheels, the left over pasty makes approx 15 pin wheels. My children love these too and so does my husband. Poor me can’t eat them as I am gluten free
This recipe was originally taken from Family Circle Food for Kids May 2001 (!) and has stood the test of time to date.
Over the Cuppa added twist: If you like mustard you could swap the tomato ketchup for mustard or do a few of each. You can also use any kind of sausage with this I have used regular sausages but they need cooking for at least a extra 10-15 Min’s.
I hope you enjoy this recipe