Until a year ago I made egg fried rice a completely different way. It was still tasty but, doing the egg like in this recipe is so much better.
I say it has an ‘English twist’ as it has bacon and no Soya sauce or extra oriental flavours. Just for a change really.
I will give approximate measures but with this sort of recipe it’s very flexible.
Ideally you need a Wok for this. Mine as you can see in the pictures is old and well seasoned!!! No jokes, but like me just came into my head!!!
To serve 4 (sometimes with a bit left over for lunch)
1 large mug of Long Grain Rice
2 Onions chopped
3 Carrots thinly sliced or in very thin batons
1-2 Peppers chopped (any colour)
2 Cloves of Garlic finely chopped
I head of Spring Greens shredded (but leave out the really stalky bit)
1 tin of Sweetcorn
4 rashers of Smoked Back Bacon cut into strips
4 Eggs beaten
Fresh parsley (if you have it)
1-2 tablespoons of oil. I use rapeseed as has high smoking point and super healthy!
All the above are flexible, mushrooms, broccoli, courgettes all our great with it.
1. Cook rice as per instructions
2. Once water with the rice in is boiling, heat 1 tablespoon oil in the Wok.
3. Add the onions and carrots and cook for a couple of minutes until softening, then add the peppers, garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. Finally add the greens and cook again for 2-3 minutes. Stir in all the time.
4. Remove from wok and put in large bowl.
5. Add a little more oil to wok if needed. Heat up and add bacon. Cook for approx 3-4 minutes stirring all the time. Or until cooked.
6. Add bacon to bowl of vegetables.
7. Again add little more oil if needed to wok, heat up. Now add the egg, keep stirring all the time. You are aiming for a dried scrabbled egg look. This takes just 2 minutes.
8. Now add the cooked vegetables and bacon back in and also add the sweetcorn. Give a good stir and put on a lower heat.
9. Your rice should be just about cooked now. Drain well and add to wok.
10. Give it a good stir, add fresh parsley is using and a good bit of freshly ground pepper.
This recipe is easy to chop and change around. Make it veggie by adding chickpea’s instead of bacon. I do this sometimes and it works really well. Though without the bacon you may want to season with a little salt.
I am entering Britmums share your egg recipes with their #eggmainsinminutes linky with our much loved family egg recipe.